Saturday, January 20, 2007

25, 10, 10, Hike

More tracks added to weird chill:

The Killing Moon – Echo and the Bunny Men
Sweet Jane – Cowboy Junkies version
Blue on Black – Kenny Wayne Shepard Band
A Thousand Kisses Deep – Leonard Cohen
Wicked Game – Chris Isaak

More things to ponder:

I keep buying more books with that cyber punk, dark future edge. I keep buying more books period. Except I’m not reading books. Time’s a bit of a premium with competing agendas such as take home projects from the corporate imperium, and Nobody’s Hero. But I bring them in anyway, believing perhaps that when I reach a certain density in the TBR baskets, it will trigger a universal shift. Maybe create a pocket, or membrane dimension. As a result, I’ve upped the insurance on the house. Just in case.

I know I could use the library, but then I’d be forced to read on someone else’s timetable, and that makes it considerably less fun. Also, I find having so many different titles to chose from in so many different genres comforting. It’s my anchor in the mad tussle of day to day life.

And:

Go out, get yourself a copy of Guns and Talks, a Korean dark comedy/drama, and enjoy. I promise you will not be disappointed.

The beauty of the movie is the blending of genres and characters and agendas – making it feel both bizarre and strangely real all at the same time. Plus, it’s hilarious. (But it’s subtitled) You know, if you sat down and thought about the last 25 days you’ve lived, and ten of your closest associates, and ten of your immediate coworkers, and all the things they’ve said and done and looped you into, you’d see that life is far stranger than fiction and that if you tried to write real life as fiction, I’m not sure it would be believable. Then again, why not try? Think about it; last 25 days - what you did, saw, thought about, tasted, smelled, touched, avoided, hid from, and embraced. 10 folks you're close with, and 10 folks you work or worked with. Little freaky, right?

2 comments:

Joyce Ellen Armond said...

I am a big fan of Leonard Cohen, but I've never heard of that song. What album?

Ursula said...

10 New Songs. It was a selection that came reccomended by my subscription service based on my other choices. I can't even imagine what they use to profile the themes of my shopping trips!