Friday, January 12, 2007

Week two and counting

The full moon is on the wane.

But the world is still on the run, like a werewolf on crack, clothes torn, hair sprouting from every pore, baying with abandon at the silky, white orb malingering in the night sky. I am no exception. Then again, we are fast moving through the third quarter, and before long, the madness will fade. Which is sad, because I'm kind of enjoying the unsettled feeling. It's like when you're straddling two boats in a churning sea: one foot in each of the worlds - real and unreal. In the between times like this you get to feeling, as the E man says, nothing is impossible, just improbable.

Tonight I discovered that Rhapsody finally has Tarzan Boy by Baltimora, except it is the karaoke version. All music, no words, except for some unusual moaning mid-way through which I’m fairly certain was not part of the original track. While it’s an inventive cut, it just doesn’t do it for me. I know the universe is screwing with me at last. The fact is now inescapable.

On the other hand, perhaps it’s a trade off? I found an amazing version of Mad World done by Sara Hickman. The original Tears for Fears is excellent, but this is plaintive and menacing and far more alluring. I started a new play list, pairing it with Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit. Somehow they seem to go together. Kind of like the same theme, played out in different eras. Then I added Fade Away and Radiate from Blondie. Cyberpunk before cyberpunk even existed. For some reason, the song always makes me think of Blade Runner, even though it was crafted before the movie. And before I knew it, Slowdive by Siouxsie and the Banshees found it’s way there: pure 8th avenue tunnel if you catch my drift. So far, the tracks all have a dream like tempo, a sultry pulse like a slowing heart touched by shifting senses, and beneath it is this kind of gritty edge.

I’ve titled the list Weird Chill. Not sure what comes next.

But you know, I think the tracks have something to do with the next book. The characters were speaking to me earlier this week (see, what did I say about baying at the moon?). And I kept hearing the White Rabbit in my head. Then I was scribbling in one of my notebooks about something else entirely and not paying so much attention and my hand began writing the lyrics to White Rabbit. Once I realized what I was doing I began to suspect something was up. Add in the dialogue, and the emerging sound track, and that something can only be the next big thing. Which means I need to hurry up and finish Nobody's Hero, because Zombies Are Forever (my working title so far) won't wait much longer.

No comments: