Sunday, October 02, 2011

Insider's view: A Haunting Affiar

This is the first of posts that I've had up over the the Kindle Boards pages, all inside peeks into the books I've written. I'll be posting them here on the blog, and I'm starting w/the most recent book: A Haunting Affair
*****************************************************************

A Haunting Affair features a psychic with a shady past. For the psychic part, her skills come from using psychometry along with Tarot cards, and an element of spirit communication.

I've read Tarot for over 20 years now, professionally, personally, for charity, and when I owned a metaphysical shop. So that part was easy. Same with psychometry, where you hold an object and pick up the vibrational energy to help stimulate psychic connection. Where I was lacking was the spirit game. Mediums hold purview over that realm, so to mediums I went. I attended a group Medium event with a very popular local Medium I knew professionally, a smaller version of what John Edwards does. I then did some research by reading 3 John Edwards books, and watching a few documentaries. In the end, Emma (the psychic) winds up working for a world famous medium, and is developing spirit connection as the book opens.

Mediums are fascinating, and use a variety of techniques, including spirit guides (spirits who they work with on a regular basis) and acting as a conduit for spirits trying to get through. One of the things I noticed is that the Medium was rarely aware of the meaning of the message when they were the conduit. It seems even working with guides, the dearly departed aren't as cooperative, or logical as we would like them to be. It's something that Emma struggles with and factors into the story through out the mystery's unfolding. What gave me the idea for incongruous communication came from the group medium event I attended, where a friend was given a message so out of context no one could figure how it fit, and all we could assume was that either the medium was making it up, or the spirit was communicating in terms only they understood.

Was it a scam artist con job or a true spirit communication from the great beyond? Hard to tell. And that's the struggle the upright ex-cop Sam has to figure. Sooner or later he'll need to trust Emma if he wants to get to the bottom of things, but trusting a former con artist isn't easy. In the end it will come down to a tough choice and defining moment for a Hero with everything to lose and gain.

No comments: